Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas 1934

Christmas Day, 1934. Henry Miller is at the Villa Seurat. He is sick with emotion: "I'm sad, I'm homesick, I'm lonesome." Since Christmas Eve, people have been stopping by the Villa Seurat to socialize. Alfred Perles brings a woman named Etienette to the house, and a few other guests, including writer Roger Klein. But Henry does not feel festive. He's been waiting desperately for a response to a letter he'd mailed Anais Nin. The letter had set sail for America on the S.S. Europa on December 16th. In it, Henry had laid everything on the line: "When you get this letter, and after you have thought it over carefully, I want you to send me a cable, and a letter too, if you will. I want to know if you will give up everything and live your life with me--not part time, not furtively, but twenty-four hours of the day and for good." Just five days earlier, Henry's divorce from June had become official. Although Anais is still married to Hugh Guiler, Henry is anxious to get the word from Anais to get on a boat and be with her in New York. "[W]hat I want is an immediately is a definite answer. That ought to be before Christmas. Make it my Christmas present!" [Dec 14, 1934].

At very least, Henry is expecting a Christmas greeting from Anais, but no telegram arrives on Christmas Eve or Day. The impatience is making him hysterical. "Je m'en fous de vous," shouts Henry at his house guests, "Je suis triste, je suis triste!" ["I don't give a fuck about you, I'm sad, I'm sad!"] Henry asks an American lieutenant and his wife to come up to his room because he needs to "talk to an American." "I can't stand the sound of French voices." When everyone finally clears out, Henry lies in bed, weeping. Midnight arrives, and Christmas gives way to Henry's birthday: he's now 43 years old. "It was the weakest moment of my life since I have been in Paris."

For Christmas, Henry is giving Anais a creative re-working of her own story, Alraune (which will be evetually be published as House Of Incest. Henry's version will eventually be called Scenario (A Film With Sound).) On December 23rd, he'd sent a cable to Anais, which she receives on the 25th:

This image is not the real telegram sent by Henry on Dec 23, 1934--I made it up myself. But the text is his. Source: A Literate Passion. Editor: Gunther Stuhlman. Harvest: 1987, p. 271.

Anais has wired $20 to Henry for Christmas, "thinking you might be short." But her reply to his letter of December 14th has not come. He fears she is ill, perhaps dead. Her response will arrive only after Chritsmas, and will be somewhat reassuring, but complicated. A few weeks later, Henry will return to New York City.

All quotes from letters published in A Literate Passion, edited by Gunther Stuhlmann. Harvest Books, 1987.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas and New Year, RC!

Always merry and bright!

6:36 pm  
Blogger J-Lo said...

Thank you for this page. I have read Miller´s work just in my natvive Czech trnaslations but I love him... I used parts from your articles on my blog, don´t you mind? Where have you found his correspondence? I am interested in Anais´ reply.
Nice Christmas!

5:14 am  
Blogger RC said...

Thanks Eric. I hope you're enjoying the holidays.

J-Lo, the letters are published in a book called A Literate Passion. The response from Anais was long and complicated, so I won't summarize it here. Good luck finding it (it seems widely available on the internet).

Happy New Year!

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Sue Patt said...

Change always comes bearing gifts. ~Price Pritchett Thanks for this nice blog Keep it up!

5:42 am  
Anonymous Sue Patt said...

Change always comes bearing gifts. ~Price Pritchett Thanks for this nice blog Keep it up!

5:42 am  
Blogger John said...

ugg boots
nike huarache
coach outlet store online
ugg boots
polo ralph lauren outlet
uggs boots
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
ugg australia
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
toms
true religion outlet
oakley sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
abercrombie
replica watches
louis vuitton handbags
ugg clearance
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
mont blanc pens
louis vuitton outlet
longchamp outlet
michael kors handbags
hollister uk
ugg australia
chanel bags
coach factory outlet
adidas originals
toms outlet
20151228yuanyuan

2:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

led shoes
longchamps
adidas nmd
nike polo
lacoste polo
nike air max
adidas nmd
air max 2017
adidas stan smith
adidas nmd runner
20170713

8:36 pm  
Blogger eric yao said...

I want to say to you, Mom and Dad,Chaussures Prada don’t always hold the parents’ shelves. In fact, you are also coming from a young boy and you have made mistakes. Don’t do anything wrong with me.
Mom and Dad, I want to say to you, you do not want to be so "narrow", so that I would like to relax in accordance with what you want to do in the rest of the study, even take the stairs in which position on the stairs Also make it clear.
Mom and Dad, I want to say to you, when I need your help,Chaussures Burberry please do less. Although my father's seemingly indescribable appearance sometimes brought me many surprises, I did not always feel that I was experiencing the disappointment at the beginning of my request.
Mom and Dad, I want to say to you, I'm not a little girl. When the girls Chaussures Salvatore Ferragamo in the season face their own changes, when I'm in trouble, can you know what to do with help? The girl is unique and sensitive. You are now also Also, your mother is also busy looking in the mirror, why do you also care about the small changes in the face.

7:23 pm  
Blogger R1se Hluoluo said...

Rumah cantik ini dibuat di lereng bukit di dusun Vals, Swiss. Berlainan dari rumah Hobbit yang lain, bangunan Hobbit memiliki desain modernis. Dibuat oleh perusahaan yang terpenting dengan manfaatkan bukaan elips besar untuk sinar alam, https://pelosoknegeri.com/ teras besar, dan panorama pegunungan. Menariknya bangunan ini pada pintu, yang terletak di gudang tua, hingga harus melewati semua berada di sambungannya dengan kamar tamu khusus yang cantik. Listrik yang dipakai untuk bangunan ini memakai sumber tenaga udara. Di rumah itu memiliki dapur yang lengkap, kamar makan, ruangan tamu, dan tempat selingan seperti bangunan rumah yang lain

1:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home